It is the oldest monumental structure which survived up to date from Ottomans in Edirne. Its construction started in the time of Emir Süleyman in 1403 and finished in the time of Çelebi Sultan Mehmet in 1914. Ceremony of girding Ottoman Emperors Ahmet II and Mustafa II with swords were performed in this mosque. The old mosque which has a part of ‘Rüknü Yemani’ stone from Kaaba hosted Hacı Bayram Veli his nibs, one of the savants of the period, for a while.


Sultan Murat II had it built between 1438-1447, it is like the description of the sovereignty in the Balkans and the mosque which has portrait salat al eidain is in the style of early and classical period of Ottoman Empire. Architecth Müslihiddin Ağa first used a plan here then architecth Sinan used this plan in a more develeped way for the mosque in İstanbul. In addition for the first time porched yard was used in this mosque in Ottoman architecture. Mnarets were placed at the four corners of the yard. Üç Şerefeli Mosque is a pioneer monumental construction to the following mosques for these features. Unique hand-drawns on the porch domes are the oldest samples at Ottoman mosques. The mosque which brakes grounds with lots of features is known with its portal in Edirne.


It is at the place called batmarket at the place where Eski İstanbul Street and Saraçlar Street link in Edirne. It was built in 1514 by Fatih the Conquerer’s doctor called Hakim Lari-i acemi. There has been some claims about this doctor known as Abdülhamid Lari in medicine sources. According to this he poisened Fatih the Conquerer slowly and treated him wrong in agree with Karamanlı Mehmet Paşa. But he went on his job with the Padishah at the time of Sultan Bayezıd II and this shows that disclaims are irrational. 


The Külliye by the Tunca River is one of the most important constructions in Edirne. It is in a large field with the Mosque Medicine Madrasah bath, kithchen,Ottoman hospital supply storages and other parts. The architech of Külliye which Bayezıd II had it built between 1484-1488 was Hayrettin. It has very impressive view and coverd with about a hundred domes of all sizes. The most interesting of these is the monumental mosque which is in 20,55m diameter, has single dome and two minarets. There is medicine madrasah and Darülşifa in the west of the mosque. At the side part of the front yard surrounded by porches there are domed rooms where mental patient were treated. The main princible in Darülşifa built in the period when they were burned because they had demons inside in Europe was to treat especially mental patients by music and water.


Herzegovinian Semiz Ali Paşa who was grand vizier for four years during the last years of Süleyman The Magnificient had Alipaşa Bazaar which is mostly called as Covered Bazaar by people from Edirne built by architecht Sinan in 1568. according to a rumour it was built for obtaining revenue for a mosque being build in Kırklareli. Another purpose was to bring trade experts selling valuable thing( gold, silver etc) together and protecting these people. When investigated sources it is seen that the bazaar was kept by a hundred watchmen every night and this shows that aforesait trade products were valuable. One feature is that its arches were built wtih red-white stones There are 130 shops and 6 gates in the Alipaşa Bazaar which is popular among domestic and foreign tourists.First two of bottom door are at two edges the one in the middle opens to two directions and known as middle gate. Other two are in the east direction the gate in the south opens to Direkler Bazaar (iğneciler and Balıkpazarı gate).Outer walls are covered with face stones and their upper parts are made from bricks its in 300m long.

Alipaşa Bazaar has a common fame around Edirne. People in Edirne tell ‘ yet he has’t got a shop in Alipaşa Bazaar’ to discredit any tradesmen. While they praise a good tradesman tells that he has got a shop in Alipaşa. Alipaşa Bazaar in Edirne becomes in Edirne by passing the trade from grandfather to father and son.This bazaar is a kind of school that educates good and famous tradesmen. It is neccessery to have a shop in Alipaşa Bazaar not only to be rich but also to have a good morality. The bazaar was destroyed on 29 September 1992 because of the fire occured as a result of electric contact. The bazaar put into service on 25 November 1997 after the repair lasting for 5 years by the help of the that periods president Süleyman Demirel.


It was built between 1417-1418 at the time of Çelebi Sultan Mehmet to obtain revenue for old mosque. It is one of the most interesting samples of early Ottoman period bazaars that still survive and are usable. Its architect was Hadji Alaeddin. It is in triangle shape and its sizes are 41X75m. It is a construction with 14 domes and there are 54 shops at four sides. There are four gates in the middle of the each sides. There are 36 parts dispersing at for sides interior. Size of interior is 20X56m.

There is one window at each dome and interior get lights from these. Its roof is covered with lead. Evliya Çelebi writes about Bedesten which means the place where valuable thing are sold and bought that diamonds and jeweleries which valued as Egypt treasury dazzled in rich tradesmen locker, and 60 nightwatchmen kept the Bazaar.

It was very popular shopping center Ottoman Empires rising periods. There were shops selling very valuable jeweleries. It is also one of the popular shopping centers today. There are few marble craftsmen in Edirne go on their jobs in this bazaar.


The first base of the monument made in the name of the deceased Mehmet Şükrü Paşa known as ‘ the defender of Edirne’ in history was laid on 22 June 1984 but it collapsed when it was a paticular high because of the engineering mistake.

It was in this situation for 14 years but it was dealt with again by the periods military commander Çetin Erman Pasha and Zafer Özer Pasha and it was completed in 4 months within the scorpe of any project and opened on 27.07.1998. On 31 July 1998 the corpse of Mehmet Şükrü Paşa was transfered to the mausolea from İstanbul Merkez Efendi graveyard.

16.000 m2 part of the monumental complex is 3.000m2 for sitting sets and car park is for monument and 10.000m2 is for green field.



Sarayiçi The Balkan War Grave is an monument made in the memory of 20.000 martyres killed by leaving them the without food and water in Sarayiçi 1913 and 300.000 martyres died because of the enemy invasion at Balkan War. There are names all around Turkey in this war grave which designed by Ministry Of Culture. In the same area there is also the Balkan martyr monuments built in 1939.


The jewish coming from Spain where they were relegated in 1492 and from Portugues in the following years built synagues for their own communities here and the number of them reached 13 in time. All synagues were damaged by the big fire in 1903. Then the Jewish turned to the period’s Padishah Sultan Abdülhamid Khan II. He mandated to build a big synague replacing all small synague in 1906. Then the construction starting in 1906 finished in 1907 and ıt was called as Big Synague.

A Rabbi lodging and a school for Jewish community were built in a large area to be able to shelter 600 men and 300 women near the synague by French architect Depre.

When the leaving of Jewish community from Edirne accelerated the Synague in the process of the neglect and dilapidation passed into Regional Directorate of Foundations ownership in 1995. On 5 January 1997 it was demolished totally after the collapsing front side.

In the following years for the purpose of using in Trakya University and cultural services even though a deed of transfer was signed to be restored there has been obtained no results yet.

It was built in Kıyık district of Edirne in 1880. the writings which were decorated in the church In 1889 were written in Slavic Bulgarian. There are some paintings remaining from the chuch in the same area.It was also known as Bulgarian church.

19- İtalian (Catholic) Church: an other construction which is a minority carrier of Kaleiçi to our date is the Catholic Chuch in the Gazi Paşa street. It is mostly called as Italian Church.


In Lalapaşa town the cairns which were known as Dolmen and Menhir dating back late 2000s and early 1000s BC were founded. In the excavations some equipments ( bottle of tears and metallic jeweleries) were founded in the graves and they are exhibited in Edirne Archaeological and Ethnography Museum.


After the conquest of Edirne the first palace was built by Sultan Murat I in the area of Kavak Square which is told to be between current Muradiye Küçükpazar and Kırlangıç hill in 1365.

But then a second palace started to build by Sultan Murat II on the west of Tunca also including Tunca Island ; Fatih the Conqueror enlarged it thereby developing . This palace is called as Saray-ı Cedid-i Amire, and other is called Saray-ı Atik.

The covered area of the second palace is 3.000.000m2.

After the changing of the capital city as İstanbul this palace had been an area of especially Fatih and sultans’interest and most of sultans had been resided.

In 1870s the vaults of the palace started to be used to store ammunitions; during the Ottoman- Russia War (the ’93 War) in 1877-78 because Russians started to reach Edirne the palace was set on fire and blown up by order of military governor Cemil Pasha and The İndicator Ahmet Eyüp Pasha.

After the war with the permission of governor Rauf Pasha tiles and valuable goods taken from the sound surfaces gave as a gift to the foreign governors.

Among these the ones in the 27 chests which were given as a gift to the British Queen have importance.

The people in Edirne named this palace as Sarayiçi where Kırkpınar wretlings are being performed currently.

esidents living near here call it as Saray shortly instead of Sarayiçi.

In 1562 Süleyman the Conquerer had Justice Pavilion built by architect Sinan, it was built with stones and it has seljuk achitecture style. It was used as council of ministers and supreme court. There was place for sherbet on the first floor council secretary on the second floor and a marble saloon where council committee gathered on the top floor.

There was Edirnekari marble pool, ornamental pool in the middle of and the throne of the padishah behind the netting at the corner of the saloon where committee gathered.

Leftovers from palace We can put in order the last leftovers from palace when looking to the north from Fatih Bridge.

There are palace kitchens on the left, around middle babüssade( felicity door of the palace) Cihannüma pavilion (main room) where Sultan Cem was born and which was built by Fatih the Conquerer net to the Babüsade on the right. This pavilion was built as seven storeys. At the top there was Channüma room. this is the biggest pavilion of Edirne palace and has the largest area.

There is but of sand pavilion on the right of the Cihannima.

It is told that sand pavilion has this name because of the yellow sand where it is.


This bridge construction came to the fore by order of Sultan Mahmut II who visited Edirne in 1832. There was a wooden bridge there at that year.

The construction of the bridge was able to start just the perion of Sultan Abdül Mecit because of financial troubles and it was finished in five years. The tablet put on the bridge when it was finished was removed by occupants during Greece occupancy.

It is the newest Ottoman construction of Edirne.It is 12 arched and has a beautiful view. It is told that it is one of the most beautiful place of the world where sunset is watched.


Its antique name is Hebros and it is called as Maica in Bulgarian and Evros in Romaic. It starts from north slopes of Rilla mountains in the south west of Bulgaria. It forms border of Bulgaria and Greece between Sivilingrand and Kapıkule, and border of Turkey and Greece between Kapıkule and Enez out of Karaağaç. It is 490 km long and disembogues agency in Enez. It involves Arda at the strating point of the border between Turkey and Greece and Tunca and Ergene rivers in Turkey.


The tower (clock tower) whose original name is Magedonia tower and one of which at the four corners of the ramparts surrounding Hadrianapolis established by Harianus the Rome Emperor is the unique sample reaching today. It started to be called as clock tower. After Hacı İzzet Pasha, one of the governors of Edirne, had wooden storeys built and clocks put on the tower(1866-1867)

In 1894 the wooden storeys were removed and instead of these three stone storeys were built.

New clocks which were made in France were put two years after the construction of the tower. Roman period finding have been encountered at tha excavations going on around the tower. There are samples from last parts remaining from ramparts in the west of the tower.

While Sultan Murat II was coming back from Varna expedition he had to replace his armies to the hill on the shore of the river because of the flood when he came to Ergene river.

He thought that it was neccesary to built a bridge over the river in order to go to Gelibolu direction and ordered to build at once. Upon this order the construction was started by architecht Muslihiddin in 1426 and it finished in 1443. After a long time – eighteen years- this enormous work was built as 1392m. long, 5.5m vidth and 174 arched.After the construction of the bridge a town called Jesri Ergene was established and has reached today.the bridge still has the future of the longest stone bridge in the world.

Edirne railroad station is one of the terminal buildings made as an example Sirkeci Terminal in İstanbul. It was built in neo classic style by architect Kemallettin Bey on behalf of shark railway company. It is three-storey traingle planned and 80m long. It was one of the most important stations connecting İstanbul to Europe.(1) The construction was generally completed in 1914 but it could’t be put into service because of the WWI starting that year. After the war it was out of the Republic of Ottoman borders(2). Karaağaç and Bosnaköy was given to Turkey as war damage compensation because of the Greece’ destruction in west Anatolia by the treaty of Lausanne signed on 24 July 1923. So Karaağaç Station came into Turkish borders again and it was taken back from the Greece on 14 September 1923. then it was put into service in 1930.


Firstly it was established as Bulgarian border police station in 1930. It was turned into border gate by the decision of council of ministers in 1953. It was renewed largely in 2009 and it has got its current modern appearance. It gives service on totally 33.00 m square field and it is the biggest border gate both in our country and Europe, and second biggest border gate in the world.


Murat II had it built by Tunca river in 1435. There are graves of Ahmet III and Mustafa III’s children and Murat II’s two sons in the tombs near the mosque. It has been told that builders started to meet even before the sunrise in a winter morning at a isolated and abandoned area called Germekapı street of Edirne Tower. The public started to watch what to do curiosly. Then Sultan Murat II honoured there. Sheep were sacrificed. People prayed. People around there were given gifts and the Padisah put a foundation stone on this remote place himself.